Being neutropenic you can’t have raw vegetables, so I was keen to find some alternatives to the big leafy green salads I usually eat.

This is a great, simple lunch to have especially if you pre-make it the night before, as it is also nice cold and saves a lot of time. The one thing that annoys me about neutropenia is having to cook everything as it takes so much time and takes a lot of effort especially when you don’t feel well anyway, so one thing I did find was batch cooking was really helpful.

My counts were quite high at this point, so I treated myself to some feta cheese however, when I am severely neutropenic I don’t usually eat cheese, pasteurised or not, besides cheddar.


Ingredients:

1 sweet potato
Handful green beans
1/2 balls of beetroot (I usually buy the packets where they come in balls)
Feta (as much as you want really)
Chopped Walnuts (if you're not neutropenic)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Teaspoon of paprika
Drizzle of olive oil

Method:

Preheat oven to 200ºC

First, peel and chop up the sweet potato. Then roast it with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika for about 30mins until it goes soft and slightly browning at the edges.

After chopping the ends of the green beans, boil till they are to the texture of your liking. I usually boil them for about 5 minutes.

Chop up the beetroot then add everything together and voila!